5th Annual Cardboard Derby Classic
Get set, get creative, go! Celebrate the season in style at the 5th Annual Cardboard Derby Classic. Build the derby racer of your dreams out of cardboard, duct tape, string/twine, and paint and race it down the slopes!
Watch the action from Agassiz Lodge or, sign up yourself and participate in the fun. All it takes is some creativity, engineering skills, and courage.
- Adult (18+) Solo
- Adult Team
- Youth (17 & under) Solo
- Youth Team
- 4-5:00 p.m. staging, registration and inspection
- 5:00 p.m. race begins (solo and team heats)
- 6:00 p.m. awards
- Helmets are required for all sled riders
- All sleds must pass the inspection
Cost: $10 per vessel, collected the day of the event (cash or card accepted). All proceeds go to the Kachina Peaks Avalanche Center (KPAC).
Registration coming soon!
Rules and Regulations:
- Free entry for all Arizona Snowbowl employees
- Each sled/team may only compete once
- There is no limit to the number of sled riders, but each team must choose one person to pilot the sled.
- The pilot must have read and understand the rules and register the sled.
- All occupants of a toboggan MUST provide and wear a helmet.
- To qualify as a finisher, you must be in or on your sled rather than chasing it or being chased by it as you cross the finish line.
- If you or your sled hit the barrier b-net at the end of the run, your solo or team entry is disqualified.
- Each sled and/or team may only compete once
- Your sled must pass inspection in order to be allowed on the hill.
- Your sled must be free of sharp edges, pointy objects, or any other feature that may be deemed dangerous by the judges. If you are unable to remove such objects from your sled, you will not be allowed to race.
- Only corrugated cardboard may be used.
- You may not use: corrugated plastics or other corrugated materials, non-corrugated cardboard (such as carpet tubes), cardboard that is bonded to other materials, epoxy reinforced cardboard, or any other cardboards that raise concern. If there is any doubt, don’t use it.
- Tapes and Glues may be used to hold your sled together.
- You may not use: tar-based substance, epoxy glue, fiberglass resin, two-part varnishes, or any other two-part substances or glues that harden into solids that may be deemed dangerous or may potentially leave hazardous debris on the hill
- You may not use screws of any sort or material, mechanical fasteners, nails, staples, or any other means of holding your sled together that may be deemed dangerous or may potentially leave hazardous debris on the hill.
- Only seams and joints may be taped, not the whole toboggan.
- Your sled may not be wrapped in plastic, tape, shrink wrap, or anything else.
- You must be able to stop your sled. Keep this important feature in mind when designing and building your sled.
- Participants in the race will be competing at their own risk and must sign the liability waiver on the day of the event
- Adult Solo First to Cross the Finish Line
- Adult Team First to Cross the Finish Line
- Youth Solo First to Cross the Finish Line
- Youth Team First to Cross the Finish Line
- Adult Best Sled (determined by our judges)
- Youth Best Sled (determined by our judges)